Resources for finding Take Action Now! Action Items:
The following sources will be used to create HDC Action Items which will be listed on our Hanover Democratic Committee Website www.hvadems.com. We do not want to reinvent the wheel and realize there are an amazing number of sites. Do you have a resource or item to share? Email email@example.com@hvadems.com
- Wall of Us Website www.wall-of-us.org : website that is updated weekly and has 3-5 action items that are written from a National Perspective. Author is from Berkeley University and started the site as a way to organize the overwhelming amount of resources via social media and the Internet in general.
- OneVirginia2021 onevirginia2021.org- Contact:Brian Cannon – Redistricting issues
- Virginia Interfaith Center www.virginiainterfaithcenter.org– Contact:Kim Bobo- health care and wage theft issues
- Virginia Conservation Network www.vcnva.org – Contact: Trieste Lockwood – Virginia Environmental Issues in the upcoming General Assembly
- League of Women Voters lwv.org Contact: Mary Crutchfield - organizes groups to meet with representatives during session on Wed mornings.
- Virginia Democratic Party Website vademocrats.org/
- Project 1461 www.project1461.org Website and Facebook Posts - post daily calls to action on various topics. Example: Betsy DeVos nomination: https://www.project1461.org/daily-call-to-action/stop-betsy-devos
- Author from Project 1461 created following resource for Teachers! https://www.teachprogress.org/
- Together We Will RVA Facebook : this facebook site was created as an offshoot of the Pantsuit Nation. You have to sign up to join. Action Items and more are posted on this site.
- Together We Will Central Virginia Facebook: this facebook site was created to include primarily Central Virginia events. You have to sign up to join.
- VA-01 Hanover Women Concerned for their Country ( https://www.facebook.com/VA01HanoverWomen/) on facebook to follow their posts and future plans
- Hanover Democratic Committee Facebook: this facebook site is maintained by the Hanover County Democratic Committee in Virginia. https://www.facebook.com/HanoverDems/
From Together Hanover...
Resources – Websites and Apps
I can’t express how helpful https://persistrva.org/resources is for both calendar events and resources.
Finding your governmental representatives and learning about what is going on
Apps – List of government agency apps can be found here https://www.usa.gov/mobile-apps
Apps: Countable, icitizen, resistbot, Contact Congress, 5 Calls
Government 101 – learning from the ground up, or relearning what we’ve forgotten since high school
- Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda https://www.indivisibleguide.com
- List of bills for the upcoming General Assembly (link to Google Document)
- Activate Virginia www.activatevirginia.org Activate Virginia was established to support Democratic candidates in the 2017 Virginia elections. (Presentation by Nancy Frowert 1/15/17 Treasurer of this organization) Click on the Docs tab for useful resources. They are committed to educating, organizing, and mobilizing the citizenry of the Commonwealth, while simultaneously helping candidates secure the resources necessary to win.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia www.acluva.org POC Bill Farrar, APR Director of Public Policy and Communications. This is a bipartisan group but very influencial.
- lis.virginia.gov is an excellent resource for tracking all bills in the General Assembly. When you look at the bills page you can see what committee it is in and then you check the committees docket on the committees page. Look for the blue button on the page called "Lobbyist in a Box". This is a tool for bill tracking. You can track up to five bills at a time. Sign Up to follow bills and contact EVERYONE on that committee.
- General Assembly Website: http://virginiageneralassembly.gov/
- Lobbying For Dummies This document was created by Nancy Finch and has tips and tricks for how to lobby in our state government.
- Save these links for your future letters. Here are tips for letter to the editor writing (http://www.wikihow.com/Write-Letters-to-the-Editor )
- Legal Aid Justice Center - https://www.justice4all.org Resource includes initiatives for education & more.
- Run For Office: Emily’s List is offering training for pro-choice candidates who are considering running for office. (https://www.emilyslist.org/pages/entry/run-for-office)
- Virginia Organizing: https://www.virginia-organizing.org/
- Network for Public Education: http://networkforpubliceducation.org/
- Media Matters for America: https://mediamatters.org/
- Pro Publica: https://www.propublica.org/
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America: https://momsdemandaction.org/
- Progress Virginia: http://www.progressva.org/
- Equality Virginia: http://www.equalityvirginia.org/
- VPAP: http://www.vpap.org/
- Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia: http://www.ppav.org/stand_with_planned_parenthood?splash=1
- Virginia Latina Advocacy Network: https://www.facebook.com/VALatinas/
- NAACP Virginia: http://vscnaacp.org/
- NAACP Hanover: http://www.hcbnaacp.org/
- Eyes on Richmond: https://www.progressva.org/index.php/2017/01/18/eyes-on-richmond/
- RVA Rapid Transit: https://www.rvarapidtransit.org/
- Virginia Education Association: http://www.veanea.org/
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security (202-224-4751)
- Who is my legislator? http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/
- Progress Virginia Eyes on Richmond - streams General Assemply committee meetings. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/evtj3sA5sDP
NEWS MEDIA CONTACTS:
- Richmond Times-Dispatch (Richmond.com, Contact Us, Letters to Editor),
- The Mechanicsville Local (firstname.lastname@example.org),
- The Fredericksburg Free Lance Star (email@example.com ),
- The Herald-Progress (firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Free Press: http://www.freepress.net/
- "letter to the editor" submission in the subject line):